Thursday, March 16, 2017

A Blur of Becoming - Week 4 at the Missionary Training Center

Hello all! 

To be honest, I can't remember much of what happened this week. Each day just kind of blurs into the next, but it's been good! 

Oh Trev, I saw Chase Galmeister! I saw him the morning after I read your email that he was here! He seemed really happy and excited to be here. And I'm so proud of you, Trev. Anytime I meet someone who knows you (especially your boys at Helaman Halls), they tell me what an amazing friend, example, and support you have been to them. And I just nod along because that's what you've been for me as well. It made me tear up to listen to him talk about you. Love you!

Drew, I'm stoked for you to go to Cambodia this summer! That's crazy! And you ran into a friend from Velocity Global and took him up to Temple Square?? That's seriously awesome. You're such a good example of sharing the gospel through the way you live! 

Kyle and Kendra! Happy almost birthday! 26 right?? Wow, you guys sure are getting up there in age :) Hope you're still around by the time I get home! Jackson and Arianne, I hope you're doing well! I love you guys! It's too bad y'all aren't still in Provo or we could maintain our tradition of going to Red Robin for the twins' birthday. I'm still in Provo! I'd be down :) 

Zone and District News:
This week we had more than half of our zone leave the MTC. Our hall has felt seriously empty, but it's awesome because they're out in the world talking to people and inviting them to come to know their Savior! In order to foster unity within the zone, I participated in zone volleyball on Saturday before they all left. It probably wasn't actually a unity-building experience because they had contention over which team had to let Sestra Brown play with them (I'm definitely a burden on the volleyball court) :) It was fun! 
On Wednesdays we have a four hour study block, so we had a district meeting to help us get to know each other better. Each of us took a couple minutes to share why we're serving missions and it was really neat to hear from everyone. It helped me to think through and realize why I'm here. I want to share what Jesus Christ has done for each one of us! His sacrifice for us makes it possible for us to live with God and our families even after this life and to change our hearts to be more like him. Jesus Christ is our Savior! We can have peace and happiness even through our trials in life because of what He has done for us. 

Tuesday Devotional:
Sestra Linda K. Burton came to speak to us on tuesday evening. She and her husband talked to us about becoming. "When you return home from your mission and your nametag is removed, what's left of you is whatever you have become throughout the mission." Heavenly Father can see the potential in each of us. Not just his missionaries, but each one of us. And as we turn to him and to our Savior, they will help us to become what they know we can become. We watched the Mormon Message where Elder Christofferson talks about Elder Hugh B. Brown's experience with the currant bush. I love it because the gardner knows what the currant bush has the potential to become, but the bush has to undergo some hard times in order to become. We can thank our Father in Heaven for giving us opportunities to become more like him every day. 

Slovene, Slovenglish, and Croatian:
Well the language is still really tough and I'm struggling. I wish I had a picture of my case charts to send to you. It's the most ridiculous mish mash of different endings for words depending on how they're being used. We have SEVENTY TWO possible endings for each word in the language haha AHH. The entire Slovene language is cased. It's crazy. We did an English fast on Tuesday where we didn't allow ourselves to speak English. That was tough because Sestra Orchard and I speak different languages. Needless to say, our companionship study that day wasn't terribly effective. But we still had the spirit! 
Both of us have been frustrated at different times with the language, so it's good that we can help each other through it. 

You probably never thought you'd hear me say this, but I ate too much ice cream yesterday. I was so full after dinner. And I think that I might be getting slightly intolerant. Don't know for sure, but my tummy isn't too happy when I eat ice cream. Maybe it's because I never drink milk anymore. Who knows? Speaking of my tummy..I think I hurt myself from doing too much ab work. haha my brothers will laugh at this because they would never guess I would do that :) 

I love you all! I hope that you're happy because the gospel is happy!

Sestra Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment