Monday, September 4, 2017

Facing your Fears - Start with Love

This week we were visiting a member of our branch. After we left her house, we decided to tract some of the nearby blocks. At the top floor of one of these, a young mom answered the door. She told us that she doesn't really believe in God, but that we were welcome to come back another day. So we went back! When we walked into her home, I was a little bit overwhelmed by how much love she obviously had for her family. The entire little home was centered around her children and her love was so evident. 

In our short discussion, we learned that her babica had recently passed away and that she'd sometimes wondered where grandma is now. We learned that her kids are the center of her life and mean everything to her. 

God's plan for this woman and for her grandma and her children is a plan that began before mortal life here on earth and will last much longer than the end of our mortal lives. It's a plan which developed out of the pure love of God for his children. I know that her grandma still lives just like I know that my grandpa still lives! And because of Jesus Christ we will all live again.

I learned a couple of things this week. First, it's all about love. Second, sometimes the very best thing to do is just face your fear head on. Third, Jesus Christ will heal us.

Let's start with love. Shout out to my good friend Spencer, who told me this at the very beginning of my mission. And also to everyone everywhere who has learned anything from Jesus Christ. He did everything he did out of love - love for God, and love for the people around him. Sometimes I feel completely overwhelmed by the numerous rules, guidelines, suggestions, goals, reports, etc. that are part of a missionary's life. Often times I feel like I'm really not measuring up because I can't even REMEMBER all those things, let alone apply them all in my daily life. But I've realized that if everything I do is motivated by my love for my Father in Heaven and for my companion and for my mission president and for my family and for the people here in Celje, then I'm doing okay. And I just keep on striving for improvement in all those areas, but first and foremost is love. Because I wear the name of Jesus Christ on my tametag, and to represent him means to radiate love. Not very good at it, but working on it.
 
Facing your fears. Face it head on and charge at it or it will just follow you all your life. Just face it now and Heavenly Father will strengthen you through it and bless you for it, no matter how long it takes!

There are two things I really love about the following scripture:

And it came to pass that when he had thus spoken, all the multitude, with one accord, did go forth with their sick and their afflicted, and their lame, and with their blind, and with their dumb, and with all them that were afflicted in any manner; and he did heal them every one as they were brought forth unto him.


The first is that our Savior will heal, comfort, strengthen, bless, and give peace to each of us one by one. The second is that those who were afflicted were "brought forth unto him." I want to bring people unto Christ to experience the miracle of his healing and to know the miracle of his life, atonement, and resurrection! 

No comments:

Post a Comment